Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Cthulhu Unbound

I probably should have done this awhile ago, but I am finally getting into the intricacies of producing self-published ebooks. My first title is a short story called Cthulhu Unbound, a satirical take on H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. You can buy it in Kindle format from Amazon and other ebook formats from Smashwords.

A few years ago I submitted the story to a number of magazines but from the feedback I received they kind of didn't know what to make of it. It's satire rather than comedy, and imitates the structure of a Lovecraft story until the twist at the end.

I personally think the ending is hilarious, but that likely has something to do with my encountering a bunch of overly serious "Lovecraftian magicians" on the Internet back in the 1990's who treated the fictional Cthulhu Mythos as a totally legitimate dark and scary system of magick. The whole thing never made much sense to me. Even if you're operating from the perspective that the Cthulhu Mythos is "real" in some macrocosmic sense, why would you ever want to conjure entities whose only goal seems to be to drive humans insane and/or eat them?

At any rate, if you're interested in checking it out you can preview about half of the story for free. The Cthulhu Unbound ebook also includes a preview of the prologue to my novel Arcana and links to order the ebook edition if you decide that you like my fiction and want more.

Technorati Digg This Stumble Stumble

No comments: